Wednesday, April 2, 2014

03/31/14 ~ 04/06/14

I finally had an earth shaking week! In more ways an one. Literally.
On Friday night we were teaching a lesson when the room shook and it
felt like a car hit the building. Weird. About an hour later we had
about a 5.2 earthquake! It was my first earthquake, and was totally
unexpected. I fell onto my bed and broke a hanger. That's about as bad
as the damage was for us. But he rest of la Habra didn't get off so
lucky. We helped some of the ward members and investigators clan up
their home and fix up some stuff. It was centered at the intersection
of my apartment, so we got to feel it pretty good. There have been
after shocks all weekend, mainly in the night, which is totally
acceptable because I'm trying to sleep.

Ok.

So I have been really stressed out. I have a new companion, and pretty
much taking over the area. I have been typical perfectionist Westin
and try to take on the world by myself. And I have been especially
stressed about our numbers. I know, I know. It's not a numbers game.
But we set a goal for 2 baptisms in April. No one has a date yet. I
feel like I'm trying my best. And I feel like I'm failing and nothing
is happening. So that stresses me out.
So yesterday I really prayed about how I felt like I was overwhelmed
and stressed out about life in general.

Ok so Sunday was fast and testimony meeting. And we had a less active
sister we've been working with since I got here. We FINALLY got her to
church. Granted we had to go over at 7 in the morning, wake them up,
and make breakfast yesterday to get them there, but they were there
none the less. So that was a miracle.

Then SHE GOT UP AND BORE HER TESTIMONY. I was dying. I was like what
is she going to say oh my gosh. Well she gets up there and talks about
how these two little kids knocked on her door a couple months ago and
invited her to church. (Little kids being me and my companion.) And
how we kept in coming by. Sharing scriptures with her. Helping her
clean her house. Etc. and how we never gave up on her, and that how
she never wanted to be inactive again after today. I ALMOST LOST IT.
Wow.

Then one of the sisters investigators that we have been helping gets
up and bears their testimony about how they want to be baptized.

Then I start looking around the ward. And as I looked at each
individual or family I all of the sudden remember all that I have
helped them out with, all the messages shared, and the friendships I
have made. I realized I haven't been a failure in my time in this
ward. I've actually done quite a bit. And even though I haven't had a
baptism yet, that is totally ok. I have gotten to help and strengthen
the members.
As one of my best friends put it, "A mission is never a waste."

So my prayers were definitely answered. I can't tell you how many
times I've been told success is not in the results. Or something to
that effect. Obviously I still struggle with the idea of success.
Maybe God is trying to teach me that. I say trying because I obviously
have been really stubborn, and haven't been good at recognizing it
before.

I can tell you that God is completely aware of each of us. I can tell
you that He loves each of us, and has a very specific plan for each of
us. I love this gospel. And, however stressful and tiring may be, I
love missionary work. I have learned so much in the short time I've
been out here. Thank you for all the prayers, I can really feel them
carry me through the day.

Love,
Elder Wong


No comments:

Post a Comment