Wednesday, January 22, 2014

1/15/14 ~ 1/22/14

"Success is a journey, not a destination."
That quote brought to you by the lovely inspirational calendar I picked up at the dollar store for my wall.

Super random, but super applicable.

Remember how slow last week was? This week was just as slow, I might even say it was slower, and rougher. Most of our appointments fell through, and 2 of our 4 investigators dropped us. I'm not going to lie, it was kind of discouraging. 

But as rough as it was, it was a better week that the previous. Let me explain.

Basically I was like "wow, woe be me, this is so hard, etc." And that attitude was not getting me anywhere. I have come to realize that, as cliche as it sounds, attitude is everything. A lot of your replies to my letter really helped out, and I thank those who replied and helped get me through the week!

So instead of basing my day, and my worth as a missionary, on the numbers at the end of the day I have begun to say to myself. "Have I helped anyone come closer to Christ today?" That is in the first part of our purpose of a missionary. "Invite others to come unto Christ.."

There was one day where I asked myself that question at the end of the day, and the answer was no. I was pretty sad about that. I then had to dig a little deeper into the previous question I asked. I asked myself "Have I come closer to Christ today?" And the answer was yes. I've often heard the "The biggest convert you'll have on your mission is you." That is making more and more sense as I go along.

 Regardless of if my companion gets up anywhere near on time, (which yes, motivating my companion to do missionary work has been a struggle at times) if we find anyone that day, if our appointments fall through, or an investigators tells us "hey stop talking to me." I think as long as I can answer yes to either of those questions, I have had a good day.

I also find it incredibly funny how God tells us exactly what we need to hear, when we need to hear it. 

Just some examples of things that I have come across in my studies that really helped me:
D&C 59:23 "But learn that he who doeth the works of righteousness shall receive his reward, even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come."
Preach My Gospel pg 10 "Your success as a missionary is measured primarily by your commitment to find, teach," etc.

I know that Heavenly Father loves me. He loves me, and is giving me these experiences now, so that I can learn from them and help myself, and others, later on. 

This scripture came to my mind multiple times. 2 Timothy 4:7 "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."

No matter what happens this week, this transfer, this mission, this life; If I can stand before my Heavenly Father and say that, I will have succeeded.

Again, I apologize for the long letter! I love you all. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you all the best week!

Love,
Elder Westin Wong

Here are pictures from the most northern part of my mission! Vantage Point! I constantly looking up at the sky, because it's always so beautiful! I am seriously so blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment